Monee residents weren't finding much to smile about when they viewed the Eastern Will County Freight Mobility Corridor Study proposals for extending roads through the village. The reaction to the proposals was negative for a half-dozen reasons, including increased truck traffic too close to a residential area and an elementary school. Residents have until July 24 to voice their opinions at www.eastwillmobility.com or to members of the Will County Board at countyboard@willcounty.gov. –photo by Karen Haave

The Will County Department of Transportation has proposed two options for roadway expansion eastward through Monee.

But Monee residents are not having any of it.

A public hearing for discussion and input of the Eastern Will County Freight Mobility Corridor Study last week drew dozens of residents and elected officials, along with a plethora of questions, concerns, and complaints.

The proposals given by WCDOT include extending Monee-Manhattan Road eastward, creating an overpass that would carry truck traffic over Governors Highway and the Canadian National Railway, continuing along a path north of the McCorkle Subdivision and Golf Vista, and passing between Monee Elementary School and Country Meadows.

The second option would create a truck route that would cut between Walkers Grove and Heather Brook Subdivisions, between Rt. 50 and Will-Center Road – an area central to future commercial and residential development.

Residents who attended the public hearing offered a half-dozen reasons why they don’t like either proposal.

For starters, they said, there would be additional danger for pedestrians and bike riders. 

The first option, they said, is too close to an elementary school and a residential subdivision and would negatively impact the home values there.

The extension of Monee-Manhattan Road would affect farmland, natural habitats, and a wetlands area nearby, as well as adding to noise and air pollution.

Increased traffic – especially additional trucks – would make it more dangerous for residents, including children and seniors.

And last, but not least, the residents claim there has been a lack of transparency and meaningful community input in the planning process.

Village Administrator Ruben Bautista said that in addition to the public hearing, he met with WCDOT officials to discuss the proposals.

“Last Wednesday,” he said, “I met with a Will County Department of Transportation engineer and the Vice President of WSP (Engineering Firm), who formally presented the two proposed east-west routes – the same options shared publicly at the meeting. 

“While I appreciated the opportunity for meaningful dialogue, I expressed in no uncertain terms the village’s firm opposition to both proposed routes. I outlined how either option would pose serious and long-term consequences for our residents, students, business owners, and the overall future of the Village of Monee.

“What stood out most during our discussion was their admission that they were unaware of several key village projects and plans that are currently underway or soon to be launched. While they were sympathetic to our concerns, they maintained these two corridors were, in their view, the only ‘viable’ options remaining.

“That realization underscored the urgency and importance of reinforcing our position with these two proposed routes.

“In response, I am preparing an abbreviated comprehensive plan that will serve two key purposes:

  1. To reaffirm the village’s strategic direction and vision for economic development, and
  1. To formally document and communicate the direct conflicts the proposed routes present to both our short- and long-term goals.

“While these challenges are not new, they will continue as this region continues to grow and freight traffic becomes a central planning issue. 

“Nevertheless, we remain committed to addressing this with a thoughtful, collaborative, and forward-looking approach – not only to protect the integrity of our community, but to ensure the Village of Monee has a seat at the table in regional transportation planning decisions.”

Village Trustee Scott Youdris was one of the residents who had questions for Will County transportation officials.

“My first question for the representative was ‘Why does Will County hate Monee?’ She had no response. I explained that both options feel like Will County is trying to step on our throat. We have worked so hard to develop Monee and grow our community. This feels like Will County wants to knock us down. 

“She did ask what route I thought was best. My opinion is one of two options (of his own initiative). First, use Stuenkle Road and loop it around to Crete-Monee east of town, or go south to Eagle Lake Road. I was told they didn’t like those options because Will County doesn’t own those roads.

“I was happy to see so many from Monee there,” he added. “Monee represented. Monee Strong!”

Monee Planning and Zoning Board of Appeals Commissioner Ron Lindstrom’s assessment of the proposed extensions was succinct.

“I think it’s insane,” he said. “It will increase truck traffic through a residential area. And the money it would cost to acquire all the land they would need would be massive.”

Lee Boswell, former Monee Chamber of Commerce president and business owner, agreed.

“It’s about a block from our houses,” he said, noting he and Lindstrom live in Country Meadows.

“There’s a pond there, a wetlands area, and there’s wildlife there. It’s just an awful idea.”

Monee Township Trustee James Young is a University Park resident who does not support either of the transportation options.

“I think what I don’t like about it,” he said, “is it’s too close to people’s homes, and Crete-Monee is a heavy route for pedestrian traffic.”

But there was at least one person who wasn’t finding fault with the plan.

“I think we need it,” Lori Davis said.

A Crete Township resident, she conceded she does not see a lot of truck traffic near her home. But when she travels to work, heavy traffic is a challenge and not likely to improve in the future.

Meanwhile, Christina Kupkowski, Phase I Project Manager at Will County Department of Highways, explained why plans didn’t include going further south of Monee and acquiring open land to build a new road, as suggested by nearly all of the plan opponents.

“It’s less expensive to extend an existing highway,” she said. “If you’re trying to build a new roadway, the cost would be so high it would be (prohibitive).”

Although no exact cost has been set, it is expected the project could cost “somewhere between $150 and $200 million,” because “you’re looking at quite a bit of (land acquisition for) new road.”

The proposed overpass would cost between $25 and $40 million. But that overpass would be needed because the railroads through Monee do not have any rail crossings with gates. Having to construct one would be very costly and would involve negotiations with the railroad.

Kupkowski acknowledged the two options being presented for consideration are not popular, but it is hoped that a consensus favoring one or the other can be reached, maybe with some tweaking.

“But if that is not possible, there is an option called ‘No Build.’ If everybody says they don’t want any of the proposals – if they tell us ‘We don’t want this’ – then we have the option to do nothing. So we would have ‘No Build.’

“But that’s what this process is for – finding a consensus. That means that we all agree ‘this is the best option.’ It doesn’t mean that we all want it.

“And there is the possibility we could find a way to modify (an agreed-upon choice).”

Kupkowski, a veteran planner for the department of highways, pointed out truck traffic, in particular, and vehicular traffic, in general, isn’t going to subside any time in the future.

“The community says it has a problem with the truck traffic, but it would control trucks, instead of having them run around all over the community.

“No decisions have been made,” she emphasized, “other than Crete-Monee makes the most sense for the truck route.

“It’s not going to look like a major highway,” she added. “It’s not going to be an expressway. It will be one lane in each direction, with turn lanes.”

There also would be some sort of separation, such as a wall or berm, between the road and whatever buildings are on either side.

Officials have emphasized public input and opinions are essential to the study. Opinions on the current proposals will be accepted until July 24 and can be submitted in writing to www.eastwillmobility.com. Additional information about the study can be found at that website, as well.

Will County Board President Judy Ogalla also noted opinions and comments can be sent to members of the Will County Board at countyboard@willcounty.gov.

“People need to tell us,” Ogalla said. “We’re the ones who vote on it.”

The Eastern Will County Freight Mobility Corridor Study is geared to assess options for improving traffic mobility in Eastern Will County.  

The study area is approximately 20 square miles and includes the Will County Villages of Crete, Monee, University Park, and parts of Frankfort, Park Forest, Steger, and Sauk Village. At the same time, the study borders the Cook County municipalities of Richton Park and South Chicago Heights.

East Will freight mobility has been under discussion for more than two decades. Phase I of the study now underway began in 2024, and the first public information meeting was held last week in Monee. The second public information meeting will be held sometime in 2026.