207U Board member Ashley Stachniak chats with Superintendent Brandon Owens after the special board meeting on September 22-photo by Andrea Arens.

The Peotone School District budget passed Tuesday with just over $200,000 in cuts after failing to pass last week. The vote was 5-1, with board member Ashley Stachniak casting the lone dissenting vote.

Before the vote, resident Jim Bowden criticized the district’s spending habits. Board President pro-tem Dawn Love called for a motion, which board member Jen Moe seconded. As the vote began, board member Tim Stoub asked to reopen discussion.

Stoub thanked the administration and sought clarity on consequences if the budget failed. Superintendent Brandon Owens confirmed the district would be defunded. Stoub then asked how much had been cut; Owens said just over $200,000.

At a previous committee meeting, Business Manager Adrian Fulgencio had outlined three potential cut plans for the board’s consideration.

Board member Mark Jones asked what would happen if the budget wasn’t approved and when the state might intervene. Owens called such a scenario unprecedented and uncertain.

Jennifer Moe warned that without budget approval, the district couldn’t pay staff or cover basic expenses like toilet paper—a point echoed by the teacher’s union president on social media. Owens confirmed this.

Stoub inquired about recalling bonds, and Owens said Fulgencio was exploring that option.

Fulgencio explained the district faces a $4 million deficit, with salaries and benefits accounting for a majority. He said cutting supplies wouldn’t close the gap and layoffs were not feasible mid-school year.

He added that while a deficit reduction plan isn’t currently required, the district is submitting one proactively. If financial conditions don’t improve, the Illinois State Board of Education could mandate such a plan.

John Maxedon asked about public comment opportunities on the budget. After some debate, the board moved on without scheduling another hearing, though Stachniak expressed openness to hearing Maxedon’s views.

Stachniak questioned cuts to operations and management funds, noting a $36,000 discrepancy in transportation expenses. Fulgencio clarified he had shifted some expenses, including a $100,000 cut in purchased services and $10,000 in supplies.

When Moe asked what happens if the district runs out of money, Fulgencio bluntly said, “The district shouldn’t be spending any more money.” He added the district plans to issue $4.885 million in working cash bonds to cover payables and payroll.

Asked if the district could fund this year’s budget without bonds, Fulgencio said he needed to investigate.

Jones said, “For the record, this budget is not the result of Brandon’s leadership or Adrian’s leadership. It’s the result of over a decade of different boards running this district into this financial hole.”

Moe responded, “While that’s true, we also can’t pass a referendum to increase our operating rate. We’re among the lowest in the area. As costs rise, without additional revenue, it’s devastating to our schools and community. Without passing a referendum, this is where we are.”

Jones countered that persistent borrowing through cash bonds contributed to the district’s woes, and that referendum failures aren’t the sole cause.

Moe asked how the district could gain community support for a referendum if extracurriculars can’t be funded.

Jones replied that, in hindsight, short-term borrowing should not have been used to fund full-time staff and new programs should have been evaluated more carefully.

Stachniak added, “Staff hired with COVID relief funds should have been let go. Administrator raises shouldn’t have been the full 5%. Sacrifices should have been made. Referendums shouldn’t be used to bail out poor spending. Districts should operate close to zero before asking taxpayers for money. Referendums should fund big projects—new buildings, sports complexes—not ongoing overspending. P-cards are out of control. We’ve never seen a simple spreadsheet showing all budgeted expenses, current status, and overspending corrections. These are very hard decisions.”

Board members Stoub, Becker, Moe, Love, and Jones voted to approve the budget. Stachniak voted no.

The budget still carries a $4 million deficit and requires issuing working cash bonds again to fund operations. After this year, the district cannot issue more bonds and will face the need for substantial cuts.