By Joe Boyle

The Village of Worth has officially withdrawn from the Southwest Central Dispatch system.

An ordinance was approved to drop Southwest Central Dispatch during the Worth Village Board meeting Tuesday night. Another ordinance was approved to withdraw from the Southwest Central 911 system.

The village had previously entered into an agreement with Southwest Central Dispatch, based in Palos Heights. SWCD is an intergovernmental cooperation association for a combined public safety telecommunications system.

Worth will now work directly with Cook County. According to the bylaws of SWCD, which was amended on April 20, 2022, required a withdrawing member to provide a written notice of withdrawal in the form of a certified ordinance.

Village officials said withdrawing from SWCD in accordance with the ordinance “is in the best interests of the public health, safety, and welfare of the village.”

The withdrawal will officially take place on April 30, 2024.

In other action, an ordinance was amended to modify regulations concerning residential lot area and width of lots in Worth. The ordinance establishes minimum lot area and width requirements for properties located in the R1 single-family residence zoning district.

The seizure and impoundment of motor vehicles has been revised through an ordinance that will include specific requirements for the police. According to Police Chief Tim Denton, the new ordinance will make it more specific on what vehicles can be seized or impounded.

An ordinance was also approved for an intergovernmental agreement between the village and Cook County for the provision of environmental health inspectional services.

The village and Cook County previously entered into an intergovernmental agreement governing the county’s provision of the services, and that agreement will expire on Dec. 1, 2023. Village officials said they would like to continue providing the services.

A resolution was also approved for participation in the State of Illinois Federal Surplus Property Program. This resolution should benefit the police, which could be offered free equipment from the state, ranging from vehicles to equipment.

The items could be made available to the police through the state that may no longer need some of the equipment and vehicles.

Trustee Pete Kats, who is the head of the public safety committee, mentioned that 36 criminal arrests were made in the village during August.

“It astounds me that 25 people were driving without a driver’s license,” Kats said.

Seventeen were arrested for driving with a suspended or revoked license last month. Eight people were arrested for having no driving license.

Trustee Brad Urban, who is the head of the public works committee, said that bacteriological samples were taken and tested last month and all the samples passed and are IEPA compliant.

Four water main breaks took place in August but were quickly repaired, Urban said. A guard rail was installed at the intersections of 116th Street at New England and Worth avenues, and Depot Street. New one-way signs were also placed along the guard rail.

Trustee Rich Dziedzic mentioned that the Metro Car Show was rained out this past weekend but will be rescheduled for Sunday, Sept. 24, in the parking lot of the Water’s Edge Golf Course, 7205 W. 115th St. Registration begins that day at 9 a.m. The event will take place from noon to 3 p.m.

Mayor Mary Werner also mentioned that the 8th Annual Beep Baseball Exhibition Game between the Chicago Comets and Worth Police at noon Sunday, Sept. 24, at Gale Moore Park, 109th and Nordica.

All proceeds will be donated to the Comets, who are the Chicago area’s only visually impaired baseball team. Anyone who has questions or who would like to make a donation can call Sgt. Mike Cozzi, 708-448-3979, or mcozzi@villageofworth.com.

The free Worth Police Child Safety Seat event will be held from 8 to 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 23, at the Worth Village Hall, 7112 W. 111th St. Certified car seat technicians will be on hand to inspect current car seats.

More information can be obtained by calling Sgt. Travis Pirtle, 708-448-3979, or email him at tpirtle@villageofworth.com.

The Sons of the American Legion and American Legion Riders will hold the “Shake Your Can Fundraiser” Saturday, Sept. 30. Members of the Marrs-Meyer American Legion Post 991 are seeking volunteers to raise funds for veterans from 8 a.m. to noon that day.

To sign up, meet at 7:30 a.m. the day of the event at the post, 11001 S. Depot St., or call/text Kat Bailey at 708-997-1187.

Worth Park District officials are reminding residents that they need to park in the Metra parking lot and walk over to the annual Fall Fest, which will be held from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 1, at Gale Moore Park. The Metra parking lot has been approved for parking at the Fall Fest.

Barricades will be set up at 109th and Nordica and along Depot Street to allow for hayrides and vendors that will be working at the fest.

A Fall Bean Bag Tournament to benefit Special Olympics will be held from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 14, at the Marrs-Meyer Post. The fee is $25 per player or $50 for a team.

All remaining proceeds will be donated to Special Olympics Illinois. More information can be obtained by calling Officer Kevin McAlpine, 708-448-3979, or by email at kmcalpine@villageofworth.com.

The annual Marrs-Meyer American Legion Auxiliary Holiday Bazaar will be held from 3 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, at the post. More vendors are being sought. More information can be obtained by calling Lea at 708-359-5585 or email leamorosovillo@gmail.com.

Trustee Laura Packwood, who is the head of the golf committee, said revenue has nearly doubled from golf and other activities at Water’s Edge. The driving range alone brought in more than $28,000 in August, as opposed to $19,000 last year.

“The range is packed every single day and the figures don’t lie,” Packwood said. “And it’s not just golf; it’s the food, beverages and the driving range.”

Trick or Treat

Village Clerk Bonnie Price said that trick or treat hours in the village for Tuesday, Oct. 31, will be from 3 to 7 p.m. Price mentioned the 3 to 7 p.m. hours, which was the same as last year, will take place again because it is a school night.

A business license was tentatively approved for Adaly’s Couture, 11324 S. Harlem Ave. Owner Liliana Marquez said the family-run dress shop will provide dresses for special occasions and proms. She said that they plan to take out the carpet and replace it with tile floors.