A Palos Hills business owner says he talked his way out of being killed during an armed robbery, convincing the man holding him at gunpoint to turn back toward police before he ran for his life.
“I told him, ‘Look, there’s more police down there. You don’t want to go that way. Let’s turn around,’” said the owner, who asked to be identified only as Sam. “I said, ‘I got four kids. You can take whatever you want. I was just trying to stay alive.’”
According to Palos Hills police, officers responded just before 8 p.m. on Jan. 25 to the 9800 block of Roberts Road after reports of an armed robbery at a cell phone storage and distribution space. Police said three masked individuals entered the location, assaulted the owner, and stole cash and electronics.
Sam said the ordeal began when he believed he was opening the door for a friend. He said the friend was expected to stop by before he closed for the evening.
“I didn’t even hesitate,” Sam said. “I thought it was my friend.”
That’s when two masked men rushed inside with guns, striking him and forcing him to the ground. Sam said a third suspect later entered as the group spent more than an hour inside the space. During that time, they ripped surveillance cameras from the walls, threw boxes aside, and loaded phones, tablets, and accessories into large bags. Police estimate about $18,000 in cash was taken.
“They kept telling me, ‘This is the last face you’re going to see before we kill you,’” Sam said. “They said they were going to leave me slumped over boxes when they were done.”
Sam said a friend arrived during the robbery, saw the suspects holding him at gunpoint, and quietly left to call police. When officers arrived, two suspects fled on foot. The third forced Sam out of the building at gunpoint and walked him down the street as police and Sam’s friend stood nearby.
“They thought nothing was happening because we were just walking,” Sam said. “My friend was telling them, ‘It’s five below zero. Do you really think my friend is casually walking down the street like this?’”
As they walked, Sam said he continued trying to reason with the armed man and eventually convinced him to turn back toward the building. Moments later, Sam made a break for it, sprinting toward officers and yelling for help.
Police took one suspect into custody and later recovered a firearm from nearby bushes.
Police identified the suspect as Kevin Dugar, 48, of Chicago. He was charged with armed robbery, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery, unlawful possession of a weapon by a repeat offender, and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Dugar appeared Jan. 27 at the Bridgeview Courthouse, where a judge ordered him held at Cook County Jail. His next court date is scheduled for February 20 at the Bridgeview Courthouse.
Sam, who attended the hearing, said prosecutors detailed Dugar’s criminal history while arguing for him to be detained, citing multiple felony convictions. Sam also said prosecutors told the court the firearm used in the robbery had been stolen in a previous incident.
“He terrorized me,” Sam said. “I wanted to be there. I wanted to look him in the eye.”
After the robbery, Sam was taken to Northwestern Palos Hospital, where he received staples to close head wounds from being struck during the attack. He said he is still dealing with the physical and emotional effects of what happened.
Sam said the space was not a retail store open to the public. He operated the business, known as Cell Trade, primarily as a wholesale pickup location for pre-arranged orders.
“This is strictly for online sales,” he said. “It’s not a place where people come in and browse. There has to be a reason to be there.”
He described the layout as a major vulnerability.
“You have to come around from the back,” Sam said. “It’s pitch black, like an alley. There’s no lighting.”
Sam said he has been in the cell phone business since 2015, originally operating out of his van. He moved into the Roberts Road space in mid-2025 to give customers a fixed pickup point. He said he did not carry insurance at the location because premiums had increased sharply in recent years.
As a result of the incident, Sam said he has closed the Roberts Road location and is working to relocate his business. He said returning to the space is not an option.
Police said two additional suspects remain at large. The investigation is ongoing.
For other business owners, Sam said the experience has left him with one clear message.
“Be aware of your surroundings,” he said. “Don’t let your guard down.”
