Krispy & Scott Grandys address the board on July 21. Photo by Karen Smith.

When Scott and Chrissy Grandys chose Manteno as the ideal location to expand their Arizona-launched business, SR Rollin’ Smoke BBQ, they saw it as a win-win for everyone. Their family lives here, the community is growing, and no mobile food truck offered barbecue quite like theirs.

Grandys was passionate about bringing what he called “good smokin’ food” to the area. But the truck still isn’t operating. At a recent village board meeting, Grandys appeared to appeal a permit denial he said “should have never happened.”

All board trustees were present, while Village Administrator Chris LaRocque was not in attendance. Village Attorney Joseph Cainkar spoke on his behalf. Grandys presented an appeal based on what he said was a misinterpretation of zoning codes. He argued he had been given requirements that didn’t apply to his mobile food truck, highlighting terms such as “itinerant,” “transient,” and “mobile food unit” as misunderstood.

Grandys and his wife began the process months ago. Initially, they had successfully parked and operated the truck at the American Legion Hall. Confusion began, Grandys said, when he tried to relocate the truck to a leased vacant lot at 795 W. Cook Street – a property he said meets zoning requirements.

The Grandys submitted documentation showing efforts, communications, and timeline details. They applied for a permit to operate as a mobile food truck – not a transient vendor – with limited weekend hours from June through September.

On June 11, the Village Planning and Zoning Board denied the permit, citing “transient” status. Grandys pushed back, saying the classification did not apply.

“I asked for a permit to operate a mobile food truck on weekends only,” he told board members. “This wasn’t a request for a transient vendor permit.”

The meeting room overflowed into an adjacent space, as the public turned out in support. Tensions rose when the permit was denied, prompting Mayor Annette LaMore to bang her gavel – a scene one attendee said was “like something out of a movie.”

During discussions of sanitation, parking, and ground conditions, Grandys reiterated his plan complied with all applicable codes. He read prepared statements and presented copies of emails and paperwork to support his case.

Initially, Trustee C.J. Boudreau moved to deny the permit. He later attempted to rescind the motion, expressing frustration. Trustee Jeff Crockett then moved to table the issue, but the board proceeded with a vote.

Trustees Gesky, Crockett, Zimbelman, and Vaughn voted to deny the permit. Trustees Boudreau and Mike Barry voted in favor. The motion failed.

Other Business

In other matters, community member and business owner Jacob Carlisle criticized the board’s tone and questioned recent appointments, and said: “The mayor shouldn’t be replacing members when the current ones are doing fine.” His remarks sparked further commentary from residents, who said their freedom of speech was being ignored.

The atmosphere remained tense. Resident Bob Forsythe confronted Supt. of Public Works Jim Hanley about water being dumped into Leahy Pond, asking: “Where did that water come from?” After a pause, he repeated the question.

LaMore responded, “If he wants to answer, he can.”

Hanley offered an explanation but was frequently interrupted.

In a unanimous vote, the board approved the appointment of Michael Parish as the new adjudication officer.

The board also approved a facility agreement with Paddle Together and the Kankakee County Board Pickleball Club for continued use of local courts.

Trustee Crockett introduced a motion to award Gallagher Asphalt Corp. a $487,464.25 contract for the Motor Fuel Tax resurfacing project, which passed. Work is expected to begin within weeks.

Trustee Barry motioned to approve payment of bills totaling $536,352.84. No payments were made to Tax Increment Financing District 3.

A Missed Opportunity?

As the nearly two-hour meeting wrapped up, the Grandys expressed disappointment and frustration outside village hall.

“We would’ve been paying the village tax of 6.25 percent and pledged 10 percent of profits to the American Legion,” he said. “That’s revenue lost to Manteno.”

He said he still hopes to operate legally on the leased lot, calling the denial a roadblock to a dream that followed the rules.

As residents filtered into the night, many continued talking in small groups – some united, others divided – about the board, the food truck, and the many unanswered questions.

The next village board meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. on August 4.

One reply on “Rollin’ Smoke BBQ Still Off the Road in Manteno”

Comments are closed.